Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Long Time, No Blog.

Another way that Tiger Woods and I are not alike is that he probably updates his blog on a more regular basis, because he is not a bad person. But tonight I received what can only be described as a threatening e-mail from a reader, and as I wish to remain her friend, I am posting, even before my carefully crafted, novel-length excuse for why I have not updated is not yet complete. Although I wish to state for the record that I feel that friendships should not be conditional.

Everyone said that having twins would be hard at first (and they certainly weren’t wrong), but that eventually having two children exactly the same age would be easier than having two children close in age. The constant threat of two people having a dramatic public meltdown simultaneously is always there, which once you’ve experienced you totally understand why God designed it so most families have one toddler at a time, but in a lot of ways it seems like I’m dealing with easier things than my friends who have children spaced more than two minutes apart. It’s not like when I’m reading a book one of them gets annoyed because she feels Elmo is for babies or that one of them needs three naps a day while I’m struggling to get the other to take one. Plus, I get to have a lot of moments where I have to hold back my hysterical laughter because of some of the things they come up with that I am forced to come up with a serious parental looking response to. For example, Monday I was making dinner while L and E ran around playing what I call “RUN, RUN!” because of the dramatic shouts of “RUN! RUN!” they make while they run around with the excess energy that they get from the methamphetamines I am assuming that they have somehow managed to acquire. Suddenly, the happy shrieking turned into agonized wailing from the living room. L was crying her “I’m really hurt cry,” while E’s sounded more like her “I’m freaked out by something” cry (kind of an “Enhhh! Enhhh!). Because L was hurt, I made it to the living room amazingly quickly for a non-athlete. L was sitting on the floor by the couch holding her head and weeping; E was sitting on the floor shaking her hands and looking panicky. L’s need was greater at the moment so I pulled her into my lap and asked her what happened. “Eh-wee pull Lah-wen’s hair and Lah-wen feels sad,” she choked out between sobs. So I turned to E and asked, “Why are you crying? Did L do something to you, too?” And she said “No, Momma! Eh-wee has Lah-wen’s hair on her fingers. Want it off.” And looking more closely, she did indeed have a handful on L’s hair tangled around her fingers. She spent a few minutes in time out and then we had the talk about how if it skeeves you out to have hair on your hands, you really just shouldn’t pull hair. Because, frankly, if you have issues with, for example, blood, you won’t receive a lot of compassion when you complain about freaked out you get when you stab someone and they get his or her blood on you. It’s a hard lesson, but one I’m glad their learning now, rather than later.

Speaking of hair, here are some pictures of E and L’s first real haircut. (Please bear in mind that I like longish hair on girls- just the ends need some evening up. I am particularly sensitive about this because I rarely look at pictures of myself when I was small and think “Man, I wish my parents had cut my hair shorter).


E and Colby:

L and Colby:



9 comments:

Christi said...

E and L are the most adorable little girls! Jarrett and I (and Elsa!) hope you are all doing well. When are you going to make a trip to Atlanta? :)

heather said...

those pictures are great! but where in the world did you go to get their hair cut???

Brea said...

Great twin story! I imagine that having twins toddlers doubles both the joys and the challenges of everyday life! Thanks for posting. I was getting close to sending a threatening e-mail! :)

Jennifer said...

You crack me up. The girls are so cute and they're growing up!! However, I must say I'm both a short hair and long hair person depending on the hair. I think short hair looks better when the hair is straight and fine and when the child isn't fortunate enough to have beautiful natural curly hair.

Christy said...

Oh my goodness, they are so lovely! And I'm so jealous of the way cool person that cuts their hair. I want someone totally covered in tatoos to cut Andrew's hair. Then I want them to fix mine and tell me where I can get covered with sweet tats.

And I love it that L added a "and that makes me feel sad" at the end of her hair pulling story. I picture the girls laying on a couch telling your their toddler woes, and you peering at them over your notepad and asking, "And how does that make you feel?"

trmills said...

Those last two pictures are exquisitely lovely. I think they have their mommy's sense of style.

Jenni said...

When will Eh-wee and Lah-wen get to play tatoo parlor?

Also they are two of the most bootifull girls in the world!

Karen Smith (Feiock) said...

K, so first you should write a book because I would read it. Even if it didn't involve a vampire. Second, when are you coming to Tulsa again?!?!?! Oh am glad you can further stalk me now :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you got the stabbing story out of the way! And moms are gifted with athletic ability on a as needed basis. Love the pictures. The girls are adorable! I would love to see them in person sometime!!!
Your crazy (literally) friend Mitzi