Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Why My Children Are Being Raised As Hog Fans




I had a friend back in college who was at his dentist in his home town- in a different state than where we attended school- and it came up while he was in the chair that the university went to was in my hometown. His mouth was still wedged open and the dentist was wielding that hook thing to scrape my friend’s teeth when the dentist said an astonishing thing. He commented that he had been to Tulsa once and had seen Oral Roberts University and that it was, as Oral Roberts had intended, a beautiful picture of the heavenly city. This was troubling to my friend on a number of levels, but primarily because he had slightly higher hopes for the heavenly city. And I have to admit, I, too, will be disappointed if it turns out that heaven is entirely filled with early sixties, space age architecture and coated with a lot of fake gold. My parents live less than a mile from ORU, so I am forcibly reminded of this every time I am home to visit. For the most part though, I love my home town and would move back there in a heart beat; I have friends who have moved to larger cities and are always saying things like “ Well, here in ‘large city X’ we have great culture, fabulous shopping, the Cheesecake Factory, random gun crime, etc.” All of those things are true of Atlanta as well and I know I’ll miss those things when it comes time for us to leave here-but I love both Tulsa and the small city in Northwest Arkansas where my husband grew up and where we spent the fantastic first three years of our marriage. When acquaintances here ask where we’re from, I usually say that we’re from Arkansas unless they’re specifically interested in my background. All of this to say, I think of myself as from both states. And I’d love to move back to either one day (or, frankly, anywhere that preschool admissions aren’t competitive). Rob and I though, in the privacy of our home, have a little “whose state is cooler” competition. I would like to state for the record that I appreciate them both and that none of this would ever had come about had one member of the marriage not felt the need to mock the other’s when that person’s home state’s tourism department launched their “OklaCool” tourism campaign. And the fact is there was nothing I could say- OklaCool is a fundamentally, inexcusably bad and embarrassing slogan. The best I could come up with was mocking Arkansas as “the mental health state” because of the ironic fact that while the majority of Arkansans report they feel they would be “stigmatized” if they sought mental health care, Arkansas has the third strictest mental health licensing laws in the country- so the brave Arkansan who sought the help of a counselor would end up seeing someone well certified. Which I recognize is a totally weak insult; but, really, what could I say that could compete with OklaCool? The next best I could do was making fun of the Hog Call done at all University of Arkansas sporting events and routinely by people who did not actually attend the school- it sounds vaguely like a cult chant to me. Unfortunate, because (and I am sad to admit this to my hometown friends) because Rob calling the hogs in a soothing voice is one of the few things that makes both E. and L. laugh and, if they’re fussing while we drive, quiets them right down. Anyway, you can only imagine my delight a few weeks ago when, after the babies’ early morning feeding, I saw on CNN that Little Rock has recently decided to make its new motto “The Rock,” which calls to mind nothing so much as the ex-wrestler turned actor Dwayne Johnson (I get a lot of my news from E! Entertainment Television). It was perfect. I had just commenced my routine of systematically working “The Rock” into conversation when Rob e-mailed me an article about Oklahoma’s new literacy campaign “Ya’ll Read.” Clearly, this was meant to be self-deprecating fun for Oklahomans who actually can read, but naturally, the way it’s being portrayed in the national media, it makes us look like hicks. As if coming from Arkansas and Oklahoma doesn’t make that a difficult label to shed when you move elsewhere- even here in Georgia, where the governor is named Sonny. So anyway, the score is now 3-2 in Arkansas’s favor (ORU, OklaCool, Ya’ll Read versus the Hog Call and the Rock). So until Oklahoma can come through for me, I have to allow Robert to raise the girls as Razorbacks. Here they are in their Auburn game day outfits with their dad. (The whole family is excited about passing these onesies on to their new cousin who’s coming around the middle of June!)


11 comments:

Seasonal Learner said...

Umm. I think that Elliot is going to dress the baby in OU paraphenalia.

Kimberly said...

I can totally relate to your state competition-Adam being from Arkansas and I from Oklahoma as well! So far it looks like he's winning Adalie's support since she has the most paraphenalia (and its too cute not to let her wear it) for the Hogs.
But I did run across this interesting story on someone's blog that recently occured in "The Rock" : http://deanaland.blogspot.com/
her post on Oct. 13th represents Arkansas's mental health challenges.
But before my inlaws all get on here and get upset-don't worry I'm pretty sure I we'll end up living in Arkansas one day and I'm not all too upset about it. I'm just too proud of Oklahoma to give in easy.

Jennifer C said...

Hilarious!!! Steve says here's another point for AR---the AR fight song is much better than the "boomer sooner" song. Steve made sure Jacob knew all the words to the AR fight song pretty quickly. :)

Here's one for you....They just opened a gazillion dollar walking bridge in LR over the lock and dam on the AR river. After spending all this money and time and effort on a beautiful bridge---guess what they named it?? The Big Dam Bridge. Yeah...great choice...I think whoever decided on the name must be a 13 or 14 year old boy.

Kimberly said...

Oklahoma may lose in the fight song category (at least its easy to know all the words) but we do have a better State song "O...klahoma...where the wind comes sweeping down the plain.."
Who doesn't love to sing that song?

Seasonal Learner said...

Agreed. Boomer Sooner isn't the choicest of fight songs, but it is peppy. AND we do have a superior STATE song. Even Oprah knows it....What was AR state song again????...that's right no one in AR even knows it......

Emily said...

After soem consideration, I'll call the fight song a draw. Arkansas's song is more fun to sing, but I prefer to think of Boomer Sooner as a good example of lyrical simplicity that emphasizes the fact that the many of earliest non- Native American residents of were dirty cheaters.

Christy said...

Hilarious!!! I am now totally intimidated and now cannot possibly start my own blog ... sorry Em. The girls looks positively smashing in their outfits, and I do love to watch them call the hogs.

Since Phil and I are from the same state (good ole' SC), we have to resort to things like ...

- my husband is obsessed with a college team who's mascot is a big chicken wearing an ankle bracelet

- oh, but my college mascot was the "fighting koala"

- the big event in Phil's home town involves getting all dressed up (hats, gloves, heels) to go watch horses run in circles, with the added bonus of going home smelling like manure

- my home town recently got it's second stop light

- my high school mascot, The Johnsonville Flashes

- also, my high school still has a student smoking area

- Phil had a great uncle named, I kid you not, Dalmus Poovey Horton

You see we still have a lot of material to work with.

Seasonal Learner said...

Christy, You mentioned several great blog topics that I feel like you should explore....I for one would enjoy reading about them in more depth.

Christy said...

Erin, is Emily paying you big money, or is she just lording her big-sisterhood over you in an attempt to bring you over to The Dark Side?

(The Dark Side of mercilessly harassing your friends to start their own blogs with no regard for their multitudinous and very reasonable excuses)

Dalmus Poovey ... can you believe that?!

Jenni said...

Oh, the things your friends will say on their blog, but not to you in person. First of all, YOU say you're from Arkansas? Really? That is similar to the mystery of Madonna and Beth's accents. Secondly, your beautiful daughters are wearing hog outfits...on a public forum. Remember when we used to mercilessly mock those who chanted that inane call of farm animals? Has love really done this to you? (Okay, I admittedly hope that the Dallas Cowboys win, BUT that is ONLY to help encourage happiness and harmony in the home.) And, lastly, I think I've discovered the solution to all our states' marketing challenges. It is the SAME person coming up with these taglines to add heartache to places that already are struggling with convincing people that we no longer live in teepees. Case in point: while driving to Kansas last weekend, I saw an outdoor sign that said, "Wichita: We Have Everything". Really, Wichita...everything? I went to Wichita's website to prove to you that this exists, but while not finding it, I did see that they are touting the fact that Wichita made it on CNN's Money Best Top 10 places to live. Broken Arrow is number 66. Two other OK places ranked before that. Arkansas does not show up until number 90...the first and only Arkansas representation. But while sharing the validity of this list to Rob, don't let him know about the Wichita ranking.

Anonymous said...

It is very interesting so children love it. Now a days the fans are increasing for hogs. Now the blog also includes videos of luna chef they will be making out of a hog they purchased from wooly pigs.
===================
wynn
Addiction Recovery Arkansas