Friday, November 30, 2007

Because Sometimes I'm a Jerk

I wanted to clarify something that I posted in my last entry, brought to my attention by a friend from the old ATL. When I said that having two children very close in age wasn't the same thing as having twins, I in no way meant to make light of the unique challenges of having your children close together in age. Having twins was most hard the first six months (but I LOVED it and wouldn't change a minute of it). All I'm saying about that is it's not so easy lifting two people with no control of their necks out of a crib from the AAP recommended "Back to Back" position at the same time. But I totally know from watching some of you that my life is even a little easier because E and L are in the same position developmentally. So all I'm concerned about is singing Row, Row, Row Your Boat to two people, rather than singing to one and trying to figure out an explanation that makes sense to why the sky is blue at the same time for someone else a year or so older. Everyone said it would be that way- hard in the beginning, but increasingly easier with time until it reached a point where I was taking two hour long uninterrupted naps lounging in the sun while my toddlers entertained themselves. All of that to say- it is a challenge having your children close together (whether two minutes or two years apart) and each has its difficulties and really fun parts. Let me state for the record that I'm sure this is also true for having your children spaced many years apart, but I know nothing about how that all works.
Anyway, if I made you feel like I was suggesting that your parenting load was WAY easier than mine- I'm sorry. For all my big talk about being sensitive to others, sometimes (this will REALLY surprise those of you who know me), I speak and write without thinking. I appreciate having it pointed out and hope that any of you feel free to keep me informed when I'm being a narcissist about my own experience.

4 comments:

Leanne said...

Yes, I totally understand your post here! Now that my twins are easily entertaining each other these days, I like to laugh at my friend whose son and daughter are 16 months apart. She is often breastfeeding the baby and making her older son lunch at the same time and it is a hoot to me (in a kind and caring way) because this is my friend that always laughed at me when I tried to enter a restaurant through a heavy glass door with two huge 100 lb. infant carriers--one in each arm--and a diaper bag for two strapped around my neck. (Of course she did this laughing in a kind and caring way!) :)

trmills said...

So, Em, next time could your post address the challenges of having your children 3 years and 2 months apart?

Oh, and, of course, the importance of feeding them exclusively organically:)...

Little Oak Table said...

hey, about needing pj's for the babies, i've never been to the carter's outlet, but in lr we have a children's place store. i LOVE their pj's, bar none hands down the best i've ever found. we used carter's when the boys were smaller. i bought a pair of pj's from jcpenny's and they shrunk, faded and did not fit well. all that to say, you should check out the children's place pj's or go online. we are very big fans of their sleepware! it holds up after lots of washes, doesn't shrink and is all so slammin' cute!

Christy said...

So if I'm reading you correctly (and I like to think that I am),you're saying that I should be doing more volunteer work since I only have one baby. That I have no excuse for the gigantic doggie throw-up spot STILL on my carpet days later because I don't have multiple children and that I should get off my lazy tush and roll some bandages already.

Nice, Em.