Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Solicitation for Books

Sometimes I sort of feel like the Tolstoy of bloggers. Except that I’m not a man. Or Russian. Or a brilliant writer. And I don’t really think of myself as depressing either. Okay, so I am unlike Tolstoy in any way- except for being a little too long winded in my writing. A couple of years ago, a friend of mine decided she hadn’t read enough of the classics, so she picked up Anna Karenina and began to plow her way through it. I kept telling her when we would discuss how it was going that, while I didn’t want to ruin the novel for her, it wasn’t going to end well. As you know, if you’ve read it, it really doesn’t. The thing about being an English major in college is that you end up reading a lot of what is considered “great literature.” I’m not trying to suggest that I’m the best and most unbiased judge of literary works written since the evolution of modern English or anything. In fact, most of the things I read were well-crafted, marvelously written works of art. Unfortunately, the majority of these novels were-allow me to draw deep on the vocabulary I gained during those years- real downers. And I’m not trying to say that all great novels should have a happy ending, because that’s not real life or necessarily even decent art, but there has to be at least some really well-written fiction that has some sort of hope of redemption.

I’m going to give you two of my book recommendations and I am hereby soliciting yours. It’s not like in my in my dark days a few years ago where I refuse to read anything remotely sad, but I’m looking for books where the star crossed lovers do not attempt suicide via sled. Because, frankly, when that happens, you’ve lost me as a reader, and I no longer care that you get what you deserve in the end. (If you haven’t read that one and want the recommendation, e-mail me). Okay, first on the list is Peace Like a River by Leif Enger. I feel like it hasn’t gotten the praise it deserves, but it is beautifully written, a story that’s easy to get caught up in even though when you read a synopsis you might not think so, and, at the end, you don’t want to stab your own eyes out.

Second is Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton. As loathe as I am to suggest a book that’s been on Oprah’s book list, and everything I said about Peace Like a River is true of it as well. Now it’s your turn. Suggest your favorite work of fiction that everyone in the world hasn’t read (Narnia, Tolkien, Harry Potter) and tell me why I’ll like it. I’ll send the person who recommends the one I end up liking best a special present I haven’t decided on yet.

One of the fun things about having eighteen month old twins is that they are beginning to recognize what the other one likes and dislikes. For example, E. loves squash. L. thinks it’s okay, but feel nowhere near the level of passion for it that E. apparently has. I’ve noticed that when they think I’m not looking, L. will move some of her squash to E.’s high chair tray. In return, E. will usually move something of hers that she like less that L. (for example, pears) to L.’s tray. All of this food trading is messy- not that eating with toddlers is a tidy experience to begin with. So every evening after dinner, Rob sweeps up while I neaten the living room. The girls LOVE to help him with this, mostly, I think because they like to use an adult sized broom. Here are a couple of pictures we got last Sunday of L. and E. cleaning up after dinner (willingly and not in violation of any child labor laws):

10 comments:

Ben said...

How do you have time to read grown-up books already? The best things I've read lately are Llama Llama Red Pajama and Knuffle Bunny....let me know how those compete with the other recommendations you get. :-)

Brea said...

When I read the title of this post, I really thought it was going to be about door-to-door booksalesmen in Arkansas.

This is one of those moments when I wish I were more well read so that I could make an impressive recommendation. I'll have to get back to you once I've finished Harry Potter...

Little Oak Table said...

Oh man, the last book I read was Barefoot Contessa Family Style Dinners, yes it is a cookbook, and it is packed with fun entertaining ideas. Somehow I have a feeling this is not what you have in mind for your next reading, but it sure is a fun book to read, and has some incredible recipes. I love the blonde curls on the girls, precious!

Anonymous said...

With some trepidation, I’ve decided to take a stab at commenting to your post request. I’m as well read as you and this is all coming from the Engineering major who ensured that she did not have to take a single English class in college, not one. So I'm certainly not professing any real ability to discern "good" fiction. I love reading - hate analyzing or writing about it. I look forward to checking out your recommendations though.

I don't know how you feel about Jane Austen. Often you either love or hate the books, and you've probably already studied them since they mostly fall under the books that everyone in the world has read. I personally love them all and reread them usually once every couple years. I enjoy Pride and Prejudice but Mansfield Park, Sense and Sensibility, Persuasion, and Emma aren’t quite as widely read – and I often reach for one of them before P&P. I love the way they are written and no eye stabbing is required at the end.

On the lighter side, I read The Other Boleyn Girl and enjoyed it, but deep it is not. Pretty much romance novel dressed up in Tudor clothes.

I get a lot of my “reading” in by listening on my iPod since I can do something with my hands (or exercise, ride in the car, etc) at the same time. Andy and I listened to the trilogy, Tales of the Otori by Lian Hearn in the car over several months and loved them. I’m sure they would be good to read, but the voices used for the audio version (we got it through audible . com) were outstanding. I would recommend the books either way. I’ve also read and enjoyed The Harsh Cry of the Heron: The Last Tale of the Otori and look forward to the prequel that came out earlier this year.

There are others I’ve enjoyed, but I’m trying to make sure I stay within the hopeful framework and as you can see, I share your long-windedness.

Anonymous said...

I should say though that the Otori books are somewhat fantasy in nature (similar I suppose to Lord of the Rings) and can be violent. There are also some sad parts within them but I felt overall they were hopeful. However, I sometimes have a bad habit of forgetting large parts of books or movies that were at all disturbing and then recommending them. OK, now I'm done for real - I think at least. :)

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Caroline- even though I don't know her. I enjoy Llama Llama Red Pajama and the new one Llama Llama Mad at Mama. Another good series are the Olivia books- we are a bit prejudiced, being that we have our own Olivia. I cannot remember the last time I read an adult book. Although I am currently reading "How We Learn" a book about how to teach to your children's learning styles. I would recommend it- good for the marriage, too! :) I also have to agree with your other friend, Brooke. I am a fan of Jane Austen.
Take Care!
Kate Tokar

Unknown said...

Hm...not fiction, but recently loved reading Blue Like Jazz. I was laughing out loud. It's really fun to finally be reading your blog, Em. So great to see you this past weekend. Tell me if you've read BLJ.

Les said...

Hope this suggestion isn't lame in the eyes of the well read English majors out there... but I really enjoy Francine River's Christian fiction books. (I know, some Christian fic. can be pretty lame, but she's really a talented writer!) My favorite is Redeeming Love, set in the 1800's and based on the book of Hosea. She also wrote a great series called the Mark of the Lion. It's set in Rome just a few years after Christ's death. Her research was amazing!
Jan Karon is also a favorite author of mine. Her character development is so in touch with real life! The Mitford series will make your heart smile, and the adventures she takes you on are so refreshing!

Christy said...

Les, I have a shelf full of Francine Rivers! Liz Curtis Higgs has a similar style to me - I really enjoyed her 1700's in Scotland series (embarrasing titles like "Whence Came A Prince," but I really enjoyed them).

Also just read the "Llama, Llama, Mad At Momma" book in a bookstore and feel I must own it.

Anonymous said...

Have you read Wicked? I thought it was going to be just The Wizard of Oz from a different point of view, but it was something more. It ended up being a really interesting story about why forgiveness matters.

Although I am still working my way through it, Gilead is really interesting. It's slow (all stream of consciousnessy), but the writing is beautiful. There is a description of baptism that has to be one of the most lovely I have ever read.

The Book Thief is interesting too. it is one that I as read, I wished you were closer to discuss it with you.

If I was going for my full-blown comfort reading (no real big message), The Thirteenth Tale is fun. I felt like I had to finish it to know how it was going to end.

Happy reading! Your girls are so cute! it was so fun to see you this weekend.

Rachel